How do I apply the same rule to multiple folders?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

How do I apply the same rule to multiple folders in hazel?
I found that different folders can only apply different rules, unless you move the rule manually, but when I modify a rule in the modifier, another rule has to be modified, is there a direct way to let multiple folders apply the same rule?
imjack

You can use the rule sync feature and have all the folders sync up to the same file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:You can use the rule sync feature and have all the folders sync up to the same file.

Yes, it can work, but I think it seems to be a little troublesome. Each folder needs to be set up. Why can't the rule be added directly to the group, so that the folders in the group can run the same rule? There may be a priority issue involved, but I think it's definitely the folder rules that take precedence, then the rules in the group, and if there are no rules in the folder, then the rules in the group are run directly, I think.
imjack

That sounds way more complicated. You'd need to provide specific use cases as to why you would need it this way.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:That sounds way more complicated. You'd need to provide specific use cases as to why you would need it this way.

Why can't rules be added to a group so that they can be directly applied to multiple folders?
https://imgur.com/a/R7Ku93a
imjack

As I said, you need to provide compelling use cases as to why you need it this way.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion