Feature suggestion: Custom folder names in Hazel menu

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

The Hazel menu lists the names of folders that have rules applied to them. Selecting a folder lets my run the rules on that folder using [Broom] > Run Rules > Folder name. Great.

It can be a bit confusing since the rules are often run on folders with the same name or folders with obscure or cryptic names because they are part of a program’s installation and cannot be changed. It would be nice to be able to change the names of the folders in this list to remove ambiguity. It would also be nice to include the different categories, either as submenus or by inserting dividers between the different categories.

Another helpful feature would be adding a modifier (I think Option) to open the selected folder.
leftnotracks

While I'll think about the renaming function, you can already add folder groups (Hazel->Add Folder Group). Also, right-clicking on the folder and doing "Show in Finder" will open the folder in Finder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I’m not talking about the Hazel window; I’m talking about the Hazel menu icon. There should be a way to remove ambiguity cased by cryptic folder names or duplicate names and a shortcut to open the folders to access the results.
leftnotracks

Ah, gotcha. I'll need to think about it but for the moment, if you hover your mouse over the folders there, it will show the full path.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion