Performance/rule delay

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Performance/rule delay Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:33 am • by OjisanSeiuchi
I have a rule that runs a shell script on incoming images. On one computer, a circa 2018 x86_64 iMac, macOS 11.6, the folder Δ is picked up almost immediately by Hazel, probably under 1s. On the other computer, a 2022 M1 MacBook Pro, macOS 12.3.1, the delay is substantially longer - in the 5-7 second range. Other rules show similar differences between the two machines; but this is the only rule where I need it to be more performant.

I've examined the log files and there are no obvious clues. The directory structure is similar between computers. Just wondering why there might there be such a difference? Are there some things that I can check and/or optimize?

In the case of the rule described about, I worked around it by coding up a version that employs fswatch running as a User Agent and it's fine; but I'd rather not have to maintain both Hazel and a separate infrastructure for actions that I need to be more performant.
OjisanSeiuchi

Re: Performance/rule delay Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:01 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are the folders local to the machine on both machines or is one a network folder? Can you post/email the logs for both cases?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion