How does Hazel compare with Alfred, Keyboard Mastero?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hi there, I just purchased this product and I am wondering how does it differ from Alfred, keyboard mastero and the second bit is does it complement well with a database search program such as Devon think?

My memory is getting from bad to worse and my filing seems to be very inconsistent in my Mac and as such for a person suffering from ADHD can you guide me on what is the best way to use hazel in keeping things organised? I am a tech idiot and I find automation a daunting task.
dov-ber

Hazel is specialized to work on files. Also it differs from Alfred and Keyboard Maestro in that it is designed to work automatically. You define the conditions which will trigger actions and Hazel takes it from there.

If you can describe how you want to organize your files, I can provide more assistance.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hello there kind stranger, thanks for replying back.

Use case for example, downloading pdfs from Harvard business review, I would like it to be tagged #hbr, #strategy; and named as YYYY-MM-DD-source-keyword into either a folder or devonthink.

Another use case would be screenshots taken on my Mac and tagged say for example #quantic, #lesson1, #chapter1 and named as YYYY-MM-DD-source-keyword-page#, (where the page number is in running sequence) saved into a folder Quantic>Lecture 1

On a side note, I spoke to robomotioun RPA about automation of this nature and they said they have no problems but I am not too confident on my side as I felt it was too difficult for me to use.
dov-ber

I suggest running the trial and if you run into problems, post back here with details.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion