Automatic Gmail Attachment Filing based on Sender?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hi there,

I'm on the fence about Hazel. The one feature that would really sell me on it would be if it could handle my client attachments by auto-filing them in the correct folder when I download them instead of requiring me to always find the right folder and save them, or download them and then move them later.

I found a tutorial that does this for Mac Mail (https://natelandau.com/hazel-rules-mail-attachments/), but I use Gmail via the browser. Is this possible?

Appreciate your help.
conecandy

Can you give a specific example of what you want to do with the attachment once it's downloaded?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you give a specific example of what you want to do with the attachment once it's downloaded?

So I have about 20 clients at any given point that I work with through my consulting firm. Right now my process is either:

(A) - Client emails me an attachment, I save it to Downloads, then later I move it to Client's folder on my dropbox.
(B) - Client emails me an attachment, I right click save as, then find Client's folder and save it.

"B" is too annoying, so I usually do "A", and that means I sometimes forget to transfer stuff.

What I'd love to happen:

Client@techco.com emails me a PDF. I save it to my computer. Hazel recognizes it is from Client@techco.com and moves it to the Techco folder on my computer.

That way I can just download files and know they are getting filed correctly in each client's folder and not having to wonder if I forgot to move it from my Downloads folder or not.
conecandy

Select the attachment in Finder and do "Get Info". Check the "Where froms" to see if the senders email address is intact. If so, you can have Hazel match against that (use "Source URL/Address").
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Select the attachment in Finder and do "Get Info". Check the "Where froms" to see if the senders email address is intact. If so, you can have Hazel match against that (use "Source URL/Address").

Nuts.. it isn't... it's just a long gmail string.
conecandy

Which browser are you using? Safari is the main browser which sets Where froms but others may do it with varying degrees of success.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion