RAR

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

RAR Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:14 am • by hawkpilot
I've tried searching the boards and eveything else. My intent is to have hazel search an external hard drive for rar files and unrar them, delete the archive after I extract the enclosed file. I drag a folder with the rar package in it to the external hard drive and then want hazel to find that. I recently upgraded and had this working earlier, but now it is broken. I have a rule that if all of the following conditions are met. Kind is folder. If all of the following conditions are met for any of its subfiles or subfolders, extention is rar, and then do the following - unarchive. This doesnt work. What am I missing?
hawkpilot

Re: RAR Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:35 am • by Mr_Noodle
That rule shouldn't have worked before. You need a rule to match the rar files themselves, not the folders containing them. Also, having Hazel recursively scan a whole drive is extremely resource intensive. I suggest instead creating a Smart Folder to match the rar files on that drive, then have Hazel match the files there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: RAR Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:31 am • by hawkpilot
Mr_Noodle wrote:That rule shouldn't have worked before. You need a rule to match the rar files themselves, not the folders containing them. Also, having Hazel recursively scan a whole drive is extremely resource intensive. I suggest instead creating a Smart Folder to match the rar files on that drive, then have Hazel match the files there.

Thank you! I was able to get the smart folder to work. I then set a rule in hazel if all of the following conditions are met: extention is .rar
do the following to the matched file or folder
open with application rar extractor

Yet this still will not run the rar file in the smart folder. This is a networked synology drive (nas) that has the smart folder on it. What am I missing?
hawkpilot

Re: RAR Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:09 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Have you tried Hazel's built-in Unarchive action?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: RAR Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:03 pm • by hawkpilot
I have and I cannot get it to action on any of the rar files that appear in the smart folder on the synology nas
hawkpilot

Re: RAR Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:29 am • by Mr_Noodle
I suggest trying the troubleshooting guide: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion