Page 1 of 1

Should I upgrade to version 5?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:39 pm
by DaveB
Of course I should, right?

But I'm nervous about fixing a thing that "ain't broke." I'm still running Catalina on my iMac. I use Hazel and EagleFiler everyday as part of my paperless office workflow. I don't want to break anything. I typically like to wait a while when new software is released, to let others discover the pain points first. I've learned this lesson the hard way. But Hazel 5 has been out a while and there's lots of minor versions since 5.0 where issues have been fixed.

So, it it time?

Can I install Hazel 5 on Catalina and run with it for a while before upgrading to Big Sur? Is this a tested configuration?

I'm waiting to see what legacy hardware won't work after upgrading to Big Sur. Like my Drobo NAS (recently updated software to work around Apple dropping support for custom kernel extensions).

If I install Hazel 5, I've read that the installer will uninstall Hazel 4 in the process. Is there a simple way back to version 4 (short of a Time Machine restore)? Are existing rules files updated to a format in Hazel 5 that would be incompatible once reverted to Hazel 4?

I really look forward to the new list and tables feature, and to reducing the clutter in my many rules files.

I'm really tempted to step off this ledge and see if I fly or fall.

Re: Should I upgrade to version 5?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 pm
by DaveB
Here I am responding to my own post. Yes, the upgrade of Hazel went OK. Minor hiccups were cured by emptying my trash manually after the upgrade.

But research shows it’s not yet time to upgrade to Big Sur.

I use a Fujitsu Scansnap scanner in my paperless office workflow. And it employs ABBYYFinereader for ScanSnap to do the OCR.

This is essential software for my workflow. And it’s not listed as being compatible with Big Sur yet. So it’s time to wait a while and hope ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap gets an update.

Be warned...