A Word of Thanks for Hazel 5

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

A Word of Thanks for Hazel 5 Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:19 am • by luomat
I’ve been spending some time updating / writing some Hazel rules that I’ve been meaning to write for a long time, and just wanted to say thank you for version 5.

I’m not sure what led you to make v5 an app rather than a System Preference pane, whether it was entirely your own choice or motivated by some change that Apple made, but whatever the reason was, I suspect that it was a lot of work — more than most of us non-developer users can really appreciate.

That being said, I absolutely love having it as a stand-alone app. Being able to maximize the window makes it much easier to see more information and doesn’t feel crowded. Now, ironically, I never felt that Hazel 4 and previous “suffered” by being a System Preference pane, so it’s not like I spent years going “I wish this was a stand-alone app” but now that it is, I think it has greatly improved an app that I use every day.

Taking a look at the release notes page at http://www.noodlesoft.com/release_notes shows me not only how long Hazel has been around, but how actively it has been developed. Since I have a license for version 2 (and version 3 came out in early 2012), I'm guessing that I have been using Hazel for 10 years now. I'm trying to think of what apps (other than Apple's own) I have been using for that long or longer. The only one that comes to mind is BBEdit, which puts Hazel is some pretty excellent company.

Anyway, the world has been rather crap lately, and I'm trying to pay more attention to the things in life for which I am grateful. Hazel is definitely on that list, so… thank you.
luomat

Re: A Word of Thanks for Hazel 5 Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:36 am • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the comments and being a customer for so long. It's because of users like you that I can continue to do this.

Converting to an app was always at the back of my mind but Apple did force my hand on that front. Probably all for the better but it would have been nice if I didn't have to rush it.

And of course, I still have improvements in mind with the UI now that there's more room so keep an eye out for those in the coming years.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: A Word of Thanks for Hazel 5 Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 am • by matthewp
100% concur with @luomat

Having this as a standalone app is 1000 times more convenient than the preference pane, even before all the bugs introduced by Apple in Catalina.
matthewp

Return to Open Discussion