upgrade from hazel4 to hazel5 with Big Sur

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

upgrade from hazel4 to hazel5 with Big Sur Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:49 pm • by nsdeepdown
What is the proper way to get hazel5 up and running from an existing Hazel 4.4.5?

I just installed version 5 over version 4 and ended up in a fatal mess. Log file stated both engines running even after uninstall from hazel 4. But not only that but also the rules disappeared.

So I am asking myself, what is the proper upgrading path? The noodlesoft homepage is not showing me any version 5 related documentation. Any news available via forum?

I really like hazel, that's why I bought the upgrade on first hand. Thought, I am missing professional support material on the most recent release. Am I the only warrior?
nsdeepdown

Hazel 5 should have uninstalled version 4. Did you have the preference pane up at the time? Were you editing a rule, possibly?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

After time machine restore I have given it another try. I just made sure that preference pane were closed.
Install steps are nicely done (really like the approach leading through the security settings, nice job) and this time deinstallation went further.

But without reboot taksbar shows still the hazel symbol twice, once for the old version and second for the latest one.
but all the rules are now available within hazel 5 (some disabled do not know why though)

after rebooting the preference pane symbol is still in its place but non functional, needs to be dropped manually.
hope that helps after all.
nsdeepdown

Thanks. Out of curiosity, was the pane installed just for your user or system wide?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

ah, great! I was also wondering about having both versions running at the same time but after a reboot I could simply right click the version 4 icon in the system preferences and remove it.

Easy! Thanks a lot!
Bastian

Mr_Noodle wrote:Thanks. Out of curiosity, was the pane installed just for your user or system wide?

To be honest, i am not sure anymore. Probably the default from your installation routine - I basically never change it from there.
nsdeepdown

Return to Open Discussion