Matching on file owner/creator

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Matching on file owner/creator Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am • by Tango2
I tried searching but came up empty.

I have two users scanning files on a catalina mac(s) to a file server folder being monitored by Hazel. I'm trying to figure out a way to match files based on which user created the file (scanned it in).

My goal is to be able to tag or set a color label based on who created the file, as they are all saved into a common "scan" folder.

Is there a way to accomplish this?
Tango2

Re: Matching on file owner/creator Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 am • by Mr_Noodle
There is "owner", which is the system user id (a number) of the user that owns the file (which is usually who created it). It's a bit tricky to get that but in System Preferences, you can go to "Users & Groups". Click the lock to allow editing and the right-click on the user and select "Advanced Options". That should show you the numeric user id there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Matching on file owner/creator Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:15 am • by Tango2
Mr_Noodle wrote:There is "owner", which is the system user id (a number) of the user that owns the file (which is usually who created it). It's a bit tricky to get that but in System Preferences, you can go to "Users & Groups". Click the lock to allow editing and the right-click on the user and select "Advanced Options". That should show you the numeric user id there.

Thank you, that is helpful!
Tango2

Return to Open Discussion