Feature request: Better support for Apple Notes App

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hi there,

in my opinion, the Apple Notes App is now ready to be a substitute for Evernote. At least for what I do.
Hazel helps me to organize my pdfs.
To do that I need AppleScript.
Now I want to move to Apple Notes. But I do not like to mess around with Apple Script.
It would be nice, if there was a clickable method for Apple Notes:
"Create a new note", "Add pdfs to note" and things like that.

Thank you for your great app!

Cheers
Mike
Last edited by rhino77 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhino77

What would the note contain?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:What would the note contain?

In my case just the pdf.
For example:
On 10th of October I would get a bill from noodlesoft.
If hazel recognizes it, it should be named „2019-10-17 - noodlesoft bill.pdf“,
creates a Note named „2019-10-17 - noodlesoft bill“ and puts the pdf inside it.
rhino77

Will consider it but not really sure how common a case this is. For now, AppleScript is your best bet.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thank you anyways. Still a great app!
rhino77

I 2nd this request.

Thanks.
robbier1958

rhino77 wrote:

[...] creates a Note named „2019-10-17 - noodlesoft bill“ and puts the pdf inside it.

I am always interested in different use cases and new insights. For your use case: Can you please briefly describe what you do with this note (or what the workflow looks like)
kingshill

Mr_Noodle wrote:Will consider it but not really sure how common a case this is. For now, AppleScript is your best bet.

I know this is a very old thread, but it's a topic that I was looking for. I'm an AppleScript novice. Would someone be able to provide an example of an AS that would import a file (PDF, TXT, etc) into a Notes.app note? Also, putting it into an existing folder would be a great help.

Thanks to all in advance.
wifinetguy

wifinetguy wrote:
Mr_Noodle wrote:Will consider it but not really sure how common a case this is. For now, AppleScript is your best bet.

Would someone be able to provide an example of an AS that would import a file (PDF, TXT, etc) into a Notes.app note? Also, putting it into an existing folder would be a great help.

Code: Select all
set theAttach to theFile as text

tell application "Finder" to set |note name| to name of file theAttach

set |note body| to "<body><h1>" & |note name| & "</h1></body>"

tell application "Notes"
   set |new note| to make new note at folder "Hazel Test" with properties {body:|note body|}
   make new attachment at end of attachments of note named |note name| with data (file theAttach)
end tell

Unfortunately there is a bug with Applescript that will add a line the same size as the attachment after the heading. Easy enough to delete.

Hope this helps Iain
logic2design

I would also like to kindly request this feature.

kingshill wrote:
rhino77 wrote:

[...] creates a Note named „2019-10-17 - noodlesoft bill“ and puts the pdf inside it.

I am always interested in different use cases and new insights. For your use case: Can you please briefly describe what you do with this note (or what the workflow looks like)

I've adopted Apple Notes as my default document store primarily because it provides free, searchable storage that I can easily share with family members using an app that's already on their devices. For example, we have a folder for each child for documents for their car, school, etc., that is shared with them, my wife, and me.

My workflow fantasy would be for Hazel to monitor a folder that is the destination for scans already turned into searchable PDFs by my scanner. Hazel would then rename the document then create a custom-named note in notes.app, in a custom-named folder, with tags if it has a matching rule for the content of the document. If not, Hazel would create a date-stamped note housing the document, in the Inbox.
cjs226

Return to Open Discussion