Feature request: toggling multiple rules

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Feature request: toggling multiple rules Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:48 am • by Dave61
I have a set of rules running on my Downloads folder that do multiple things, including standardising the naming and setting up tags that are used to file them.

Recently I needed to do some major maintenance on the rules and, whilst debugging some issues, found myself toggling a subset of them on/off. This got old fast.

We can already select several rules using the conventional click process so why not add a function to toggle them on/off, perhaps by pressing the spacebar.
Dave61

Re: Feature request: toggling multiple rules Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 am • by Mr_Noodle
Note that command-clicking the checkbox will toggle all of them but I'll look into space operating on any selected ones.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: toggling multiple rules Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:08 am • by matthewp
If you use a consistent term in the rule name and filter the list to contain only the rules that match the term, you can then command click and toggle only those rules in 1 click.
matthewp

@Mr_Noodle

Thanks for the heads up on the CMD+click option for selecting all rules. Is there a reason you didn't go for Option+click to select all checkboxes since that would match the standard macOS behavior? As one example of where it might be worth the hassle for you, I was about to post a feature request to select all rules because I could not select them by using Option+click, or by using CMD+click to select specific rules, or by using Shift+click to select contiguous groups of rules.

On that note, I would find it really helpful if you could update Hazel 5 to include those standard selection behaviors options for both the rules and the folders (Shift+click, CMD+click, and Option+click). Especially now that we have the option of folder groups, it would be really helpful so that I wouldn't have to move one folder at a time into a group.

Apart from these relatively minor quibbles, very impressed with Hazel 5 and much prefer the new app over the preference pane. Thanks again for all of your hard work!

P.S. Please let me know if this should be a separate thread as it is only partially related.
MasterRee

Re: Feature request: toggling multiple rules Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:34 am • by Mr_Noodle
cmd-click is/was the standard before option-click. Actually, you could argue, there is no standard since some recent apps have implemented option-click screwing up the standard. Note that the checkboxes are distinct from selecting items, which do follow the standard.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for the clarification. I had not seen CMD-click used that way before and didn't realize that was a standard OS shortcut at one point. In the last several versions of macOS itself Option-click is used to select groups of checkboxes, such as for enabling permissions in System Preferences > Remote Management.

I do see that I was mistaken and that CMD-click and Shift-click work as expected for selecting groups of rules (thanks!). However, folders in the Hazel folder sidebar cannot be selected using those standard shortcuts. Any chance on implementing the same selection capabilities for the folders?
MasterRee

Re: Feature request: toggling multiple rules Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:35 am • by Mr_Noodle
Folders currently only allow a single selection.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion