Suggested feature: Open with…

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Suggested feature: Open with… Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:05 am • by leftnotracks
Often I'll download a file and want to create a Hazel action to deal with the file. But often, the type of file (like say a Dashboard widget) is so uncommon that I can’t be bothered. ① Open Hazel, ② select the folder, ③ create a new rule, ④ name the rule, ⑤ specify the condition, ⑥ then specify the action.

What if I could right-click on a file and go to Open With > Hazel. This would create a new rule in the selected folder specific to that file type, performing up to four of the six steps listed above. If Open With is not an option for prefPane files, then I'm pretty confident a shortcut or service could be added.
leftnotracks

Re: Suggested feature: Open with… Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll think about it, though concerning adding stuff to Finder's contextual menus is a bit tricky, more politically than technically.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Suggested feature: Open with… Thu May 19, 2022 9:17 pm • by DaleS
Being able to run a predefined rule from the service menu would be great.

I have 3 monitors and a stream deck that lets me take a screenshot. However I end up with 3 files when all I want it one.
It would be great to be able to select any folder and then select my "Remove screenshot of other screens"

Currently the taxonomy in Hazel is Folders > Rules, so this would require having some other UI to allow placing rules foremost.
DaleS

Return to Open Discussion