Feature Request – Name (Content) Depository

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Feature Request – Name (Content) Depository Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:10 pm • by Robert
It would be very nice to have a global name or content depository to use within "contain match" rules. For example I have a lot of academic PDFs and want to tag them according to the names of theorists mentioned within the PDFs. It would be very nice if hazel had a depository where you can add certain names, terms, companies etc. which then can be used as custom text token within a contain match rule. So I could add 100+ Names in the depository and tell hazel to tag or rename the document if it finds one of the 100 names in a document.
It would work for renaming receipts, too and simplify certain rules: f.ex. you could add 5 different names of companies you get bills from to the depository and use the "content match depository" to rename the receipts according to the company names. That is possible now too, but you would need 5 different rules to achieve that... with tagging for certain authors you would need 100+ rules to achieve the same thing...

"Behind all the inhuman aspects of automation (...) its real possibilities appear: the genesis of a technological world in which man can finally withdraw from (...) the apparatus of his labor – in order to experiment freely with it." /Marcuse
Robert

I'm working on some sort of solution for Hazel 5. The current notion is support for lists and tables but I'm still thinking about it and it may turn out to be something different.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:I'm working on some sort of solution for Hazel 5. The current notion is support for lists and tables but I'm still thinking about it and it may turn out to be something different.

Nice! Thank you for the feedback – I am looking forward to it!
"Behind all the inhuman aspects of automation (...) its real possibilities appear: the genesis of a technological world in which man can finally withdraw from (...) the apparatus of his labor – in order to experiment freely with it." /Marcuse
Robert

Return to Open Discussion