Feature Request - Pause All

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Feature Request - Pause All Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:25 pm • by podfeet
Love Hazel (like everyone else here!). I have quite a few folders being watched to find files that have aged over 2 weeks, and then rules that move them to my NAS. They work great, but the folders are on a laptop, so when I leave the house, I'm barraged by notifications telling me that my NAS can't be found. To stop the madness, I have to right click on each folder and pull down to pause the rules, one by one. When I return home, I have to remember to reverse the process. It's tedious at best, and often a problem when I forget to turn them back on.

A "Pause All" feature would be awesome. Even better would be if you tell me there's already a way to do this and I'm just a knucklehead for not finding it.

Thanks for a great product (and remember me from Command-D?)

Allison Sheridan
Podfeet Podcasts at http://podfeet.com
Technology geek podcasts with an EVER so slight Apple bias!
podfeet

Re: Feature Request - Pause All Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:33 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Usually the errors should happen once then stop until you reconnect. You can stop Hazel altogether but there's no bulk pausing option.

Also, another way to possibly tackle the problem. If the files are spread out across a bunch of folders, consider creating a Smart Folder to match those. Then you can have Hazel operate on the Smart Folder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request - Pause All Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:17 am • by podfeet
Mr_Noodle wrote:Usually the errors should happen once then stop until you reconnect. You can stop Hazel altogether but there's no bulk pausing option.

Also, another way to possibly tackle the problem. If the files are spread out across a bunch of folders, consider creating a Smart Folder to match those. Then you can have Hazel operate on the Smart Folder.

I have been sadly waiting for an answer, forgot to check forum's notify button so I didn't notice that you answered me right away!

The errors definitely do not stop after the first time. They pop up constantly and indefinitely. Is there something I can do, something you can have me check, or something I can send you to figure out why?

Short of that, How do I "stop Hazel altogether"?

And I'm not sure what you mean about using a smart folder. I have specific actions I want to be done on specific folders. I have several folders that I have Hazel clean up by moving the files to their equivalent folder on my NAS. I don't see how I could combine those as they originate in different places and end up filed away in different places.
podfeet

Re: Feature Request - Pause All Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:51 am • by Mr_Noodle
If you go to Hazel's "Info" section, you can click the "Stop Hazel" button to stop Hazel altogether.

Smart Folders can span across all your files, regardless of where they reside. You can set up search conditions and it will stay updated automatically. I suggest checking Apple's documentation on them for more details.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion