Relative dates

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Relative dates Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:57 am • by Hampe
Hi!

I downloaded this nice little app as soon as I heard of it and found it very useful, apart from one or two little things.

1. I would love if there was a way of specifying relative dates instead of absolute ones (that is saying something like "all files older that 1 week" instead of "all files older than <date>". I think for it to be useful though the meaning of 1 week old is probably one week old since this rules was last executed or something like that, otherwise it wouldn't very different from today, apart from the offfset of one week.

2. I would also love it if I could create new folders (possibly with a date extenson to the name)

I guess you see what I'm after. With theese two rules it would be possible to periodically go through a folder and for example archive the contents according to a date intervall.
That I would really like!

BTW, the abbility to recursively go through subfolder would also be very nice!

Thanks,
Hampe
Hampe

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:00 am • by Mr_Noodle
1. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can use "is in the last/is not in the last". Here you can specify a time relative to now ("is in the last 2 weeks", is not in the last hour").

2. This feature was in an early beta but none of the beta testers used it. Basically, you could put files into a subfolder based on one of the date attributes or the source address (url or email). Nonetheless, I am considering reintroducing it in a point release.

And applying rules recursively to subfolders is slated for 1.1.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:54 pm • by Hampe
1. Eeerr... (blushing)! Yes, I see. Just me being my usual stupid self. :)

2. I get how to filter the files but I don't gt how to create a new subfolder (at least nor using this tool. Using cron or launchd would work of course, or using folder actions), but then again, I have an uncanning ability to misunderstand so I'll have another go at it.

Great, thanks!
Hampe

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:40 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The subfolder feature was taken out so it is not there now. It is something I am looking to put back in a future release.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion