Placing TV Shows into Subfolders

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Placing TV Shows into Subfolders Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 pm • by jetspeed8
I apologize before hand, but I can not find an explanation (that I can understand) on how to format Hazel to do this task. I don't understand how the subfolder attributes work or how to set them up.
Here is what I want to attempt to do:

I have a rule set up to move (tv show) .avi files (by tv show name) from the download video folder into a folder on my external drive called Torrents. That rule seems to work.
Within the Torrents folder I have a folder for each tv show (by name); i.e. Castle, Burn Notice, Sea Patrol, etc.

My rule (probably by default) places the downloaded tv shows into the correct tv show folder inside the Torrents folder. What I can't seem to figure out is how to make rules to take (lets say Sea Patrol as an example) Sea Patrol S01E08, Sea Patrol S02E03, Sea Patrol S05E02, and place them into the correct "season" folder. Within Sea Patrol I have subfolders Season 01, Season 02, Season 03, Season 04, and Season 05. I can not figure out how to have Hazel get the proper season episode into the proper Season Folder (i.e., Sea Patrol S02E03 into the Season 02 subfolder)

I may be way over thinking this, but I have spent hours trying to figure this out.

Can someone please help me with this....
jetspeed8

Re: Placing TV Shows into Subfolders Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:25 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I suggest reading the help for "match patterns". You would basically match against the part of the name that has the season number then use a custom token that you create in the pattern for the "Sort into subfolders" action. The help has an example which should illustrate how to do this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion