Feature Suggest: Visual notification that Hazel is working

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

I think it would be nice if Hazel had the option of displaying some kind of visual when it was executing rules -- maybe an animation to the menubar icon with a info bubble that pops up if you mouse over it?

What do you think?
tiny-e

It's something I've considered but I think it would be a bit distracting and also not very informative. Could you give me a case where you'd really need this? If you want to know when something is being done, I'd recommend using Growl notifications for the specific times when you want it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I have an example.
So here is one of my rules:

For me it is always important when a rule starts doing something and when it is done with that rule.
This rule is just for small images but I have other rules for copying lots of data and when I get a popup after 20min when it's done copying 6gb to my external HDD.. you should get my point here ;)

Best
Ultimatemoe

Well, for instance, when I'm troubleshooting rules that aren't working --and I don't see anything going on in the log! =)

I guess it could be distracting, or not, depending on how 'animated' the animation is.. I would think the icon changing color, or displaying a badge wouldn't be all that distracting. A user could then mouse over it to see what Hazel is doing, or click view log to get further info.

My main use for Hazel is on my HTPC setup... I don't want it Growling all over the place if not necessary. But it would be nice to be able to enable a feature such as I suggested when I'm working on new rules/testing instead of having to go in and edit rules to make them temporarily notify me they're working.
tiny-e

I'm not sure changing the icon would help. It wouldn't be clear what it's doing and there would be many times Hazel would be doing something, but nothing that you would notice.

If you turn on debug mode, then the logging will always indicate something happening. If it's not doing what you want then there's an issue with your rules but the indicator won't help you there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion