FEATURE REQUEST: Persistent Custom Tokens

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

FEATURE REQUEST: Persistent Custom Tokens Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:56 pm • by BigJazzz
Hey Mr_Noodle

It would be awesome if there was a way to use persistent custom tokens across multiple rules, especially on the same folder.

E.g. My Google Photos folder is generally filed with the following structure:
YYYY
|- MM
|-- File

However, some of my photos I file elsewhere, such as aggregating pics of the pets. I would still like to file them as above, but it's just a bit tedious to have to re-pattern the name over and over again. Persistent custom tokens for a specific folder across all rules would make life much easier.

Cheers
BigJazzz

Are the rules identical? If that is the case, consider sync the rules between the folders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

The rules won't be. I'm running it on my Google Photos folder, and then subfoldering everything underneath that, so for example one filing system would be "JHC > YYYY > MM", then next "Pets > YYYY > MM", etc. Given these are being moved depending on a tag assigned, I suppose I could make my life easier and just make it dynamic for those ones.

The issue still sort-of persists though when it comes to the standard photos and videos, as they get filed under Images/Videos, but aren't tagged.
BigJazzz

I'll think about it but not sure need to figure out the side effects involved. Just to be clear, you want this as a way to not have to re-specify an attribute; you're not expecting any data to carry over between the rules?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Yeah, exactly. No data between rules, just the attributes assigned to the custom token.

I mean, I'm sure there could be a use case to carry over the data in the tokens, but for me atm I don't need the data.
BigJazzz

Return to Open Discussion