Suggested Feature: Built in OCR

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 am • by jakesm
A lot of time and effort goes into scripts to call applications like PDFpen and now Nitro to do OCR on PDFs. I find that mine stops working from time to time until I restart Hazel.

It would be great to have built-in OCR available as a Hazel feature. I'd pay extra for the convenience.
jakesm

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:14 am • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the suggestion. I do not have any expertise in OCR tech so I would have to rely on third party libraries (I know about Tesseract, which is an open source/free one). Keep in mind that should I integrate that, I am responsible for supporting it. I don't know how well any of these third party libraries would stack up against their commercial equivalents but if they fall significantly short, then that might be problematic.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:17 pm • by SmplNerd
Mr_Noodle wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I do not have any expertise in OCR tech so I would have to rely on third party libraries (I know about Tesseract, which is an open source/free one). Keep in mind that should I integrate that, I am responsible for supporting it. I don't know how well any of these third party libraries would stack up against their commercial equivalents but if they fall significantly short, then that might be problematic.

Maybe, this would be enough?
SmplNerd

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:21 am • by Mr_Noodle
It's unclear how well the Vision APIs would work for larger and more complex documents. All cases where I've seen it used seems to be for simple images. It would seem dealing with something like text with multiple span and columns may be more complex and would require some sort of extra logic that an actual OCR solution has baked in.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:28 pm • by BreakAndMoldMe
Reviving an old thread. The Vision API has proven both fast and accurate even on large documents all hardware accelerated by Apple Silicone. There are two apps in the macOS App Store that use it and charge money: OwlOCR and Textify. I have yet to purchase either (just testing). But OwlOCR seems to be able to add the OCR text layer without recompressing the image layers.

I too would prefer OCR built into Hazel…proven app dev process and trustworthy developer.
BreakAndMoldMe

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:43 am • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely considering this for the next major release. Note that it would be "read only" in that it will do OCR on the fly, but not actually write out the text layer to the PDF.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:45 am • by hal
I've been using ABBYY Finereader (for Scansnap) on PDF's for a while, and recently noticed that Apple's built in OCR seems to do a better job. It doesn't automatically write the text layer to the PDF though. You have to export from Preview.app to a new pdf with the option selected to include the text layer. I haven't found a way to automatically (AppleScript, Automator, Shortcuts) save the text layer to the source PDF, but it would be nice.
hal

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:32 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I don't think Hazel will save the text layer as it would be a weird side effect to a condition on a rule. As it's planned now, it will be on-the-fly OCR. Nonetheless, it is under consideration.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:12 am • by BreakAndMoldMe
Hmm that is a tough one... changing files as a condition to a rule.

From a CPU resources perspective...if Hazel is going to do the processing anyway, it might as well offer the option to save it to the file.

Otherwise, depending on one's workflow, the same document could be OCR'd up to 3 times: once on-the-fly by ScanSnap Home for file naming purposes (can be turned off), once by one's preferred OCR app, and once on-the-fly by Hazel.

It could be more efficient if Hazel added the option to save the text to file.

With that said, I did email the ScanSnap Home folks and asked them to consider changing their OCR software to Apple's native (more accurate and faster). They passed the request on to the developers. Might be good for any other ScanSnap Home users to do the same!

Finally, I hadn't notice Preview's ability to export with "Embed Text"...nice find. I'll also start digging around to see if there is a way to automate that export option.
BreakAndMoldMe

Return to Open Discussion