Suggested Feature: Built in OCR

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 am • by jakesm
A lot of time and effort goes into scripts to call applications like PDFpen and now Nitro to do OCR on PDFs. I find that mine stops working from time to time until I restart Hazel.

It would be great to have built-in OCR available as a Hazel feature. I'd pay extra for the convenience.
jakesm

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:14 am • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the suggestion. I do not have any expertise in OCR tech so I would have to rely on third party libraries (I know about Tesseract, which is an open source/free one). Keep in mind that should I integrate that, I am responsible for supporting it. I don't know how well any of these third party libraries would stack up against their commercial equivalents but if they fall significantly short, then that might be problematic.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:17 pm • by SmplNerd
Mr_Noodle wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I do not have any expertise in OCR tech so I would have to rely on third party libraries (I know about Tesseract, which is an open source/free one). Keep in mind that should I integrate that, I am responsible for supporting it. I don't know how well any of these third party libraries would stack up against their commercial equivalents but if they fall significantly short, then that might be problematic.

Maybe, this would be enough?
SmplNerd

Re: Suggested Feature: Built in OCR Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:21 am • by Mr_Noodle
It's unclear how well the Vision APIs would work for larger and more complex documents. All cases where I've seen it used seems to be for simple images. It would seem dealing with something like text with multiple span and columns may be more complex and would require some sort of extra logic that an actual OCR solution has baked in.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion