Can't move Hazel to new computer hard drive

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Can't move Hazel to new computer hard drive Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:25 am • by morkafur
I had a disk crash where I only had a backup of my data, not a Hazel-specific backup of each export rule.

Now, I'm stuck since after trying Paul's suggestions in another posting here:

You can try copying over the following:
- In your Library/Preferences, the files starting with com.noodlesoft
- In your Library/Application Support, the Hazel folder
Now, it may or may not work since a lot of internal stuff is stored as aliases. As a backup, I suggest exporting all your rules. If the above doesn't work, you can re-create your folder list and then import your rules back in to the appropriate folders.

Hazel on the new computer (same computer new HD) is still BLANK!

I have no idea what my rules were beyond a few of them so now I seem to be starting from scratch.

Hopefully, there's a simple workaround for this. Otherwise, Hazel files seriously need to be stored on disk in such a way that they can be easily migrated!

Here goes another several HOURS (days?) trying to figure out what I had in Hazel over the past five or so years and re-create by hand, from scratch...

Thanks
morkafur

Doing the above should work. Those are also standard locations for app configs so they should be carried over by Migration Assistant, for example.

You may need to re-add some folders, though, depending.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

morkafur wrote:I had a disk crash where I only had a backup of my data, not a Hazel-specific backup of each export rule.

Now, I'm stuck since after trying Paul's suggestions in another posting here:

You can try copying over the following:
- In your Library/Preferences, the files starting with com.noodlesoft
- In your Library/Application Support, the Hazel folder

Same problem here. Storage crashed. Have a presumably perfect backup from Carbon Copy Cloner. Copied over prefs and Hazel support dir, and it tells me that it "Cloud not load rules" with a sub-error of "Rules for one or more folders are corrupt and could not be loaded."

I can see that it correctly picked up my target folders, but they all have triangle/exclamation errors next to their names and no rules are visible. Ideas?
astrostl

You'll need to re-add the folders. After adding the folder, you can drag the rules from the invalid folder over and then remove the invalid folder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

What ended up working for me was a full DELETE of the Hazel App Support and Prefs, then copy. Thanks!
astrostl

Return to Open Discussion