Please read if you are experiencing hangs on Catalina

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

You can put them up on a Cloud sharing service. Many have ways of only allowing people you send the link to to access it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I am experiencing the problem constantly and can recreate it at will by creating a new rule or matching a rule. I have a log but cant seem to attach it. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Mr_Noodle wrote:If you are experiencing hangs with System Preferences/Hazel on Catalina, and are willing to help diagnose the issue, please help. I am trying to work with Apple to track down the issue but there seems to be a lack of info.

First off, if you can replicate it on demand, please post here with the steps taken.

In addition:

1. Reproduce the problem or wait for the problem to happen again. If an error message appears, leave the error dialog on screen.
2. Capture a screenshot. (The timestamp will show us where in the logs in to look.)
3. As soon as you see the problem happening, hit Shift-Cmd-Ctrl-Opt-period to trigger the sysdiagnose. The screen should flash to indicate it has started.
4. When it is done, Finder will open a window to the location of the log file in /var/tmp/. Attach that file back to us, as well as the screenshot that you took.

Please also capture a System Profile information report from About This Mac and attach that back as well.

Note that I will be forwarding this info to Apple so please keep that in mind.
sfriedlaender

I have written a couple of rules utilising a green tag. Previews ran okay. I moved to the Trash tab and attempted to check the 'Delete files...' checkbox. I think I noticed then that Hazel or the System Preferences had hung. Clicking on the red close button on System Preferences did nothing. I tried to quit it using the dock icon with no effect. I went to the Apple menu (top left of screen) but couldn't activate it at all. I could close and open Hazel from the menu bar although I don't know if it had any effect. Safari was still working so I went to Noodlesoft support page and found your post. I activated the 'sysdiagnose' file (you should indicate that it takes a few minutes to process) and took a screenshot. Nothing happened so I tried to close macOS via the keyboard power button. Nothing happened until the sysdiagnose file finished its work. The system then asked me if I wanted to switch off. I declined, thinking that maybe I could close System Preferences but I couldn't. I then started to compose this reply, and during writing it, System Preferences woke up again and I was able to close it. Timescale about 5 minutes.

I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure how to upload files to you. Please let me know if it is required.
cowgap

Please email them in to support. Click the "Contact support" button in Hazel's "Info" section.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Running 10.15.4

Been getting many System Pref hangs over last several months requiring force quitting. Came looking here today because I got a hang yesterday and decided to wait it out overnight. This morning I got a dialog saying system has run out of memory. The force quit dialog showed System Prefs using 263 GBs of memory. Hazel is the only extension added. Force quitting System Prefs restored operations.

Poking around in the Console I got a cluster of "JetsamEvent-2020-05-03-230519.diag" events saying System Prefs is largest user.

Here is a portion from near the top of the report:

"crashReporterKey" : "71835486-E85D-0995-4DF6-28869B7E9A5E",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 19.4.0: Wed Mar 4 22:28:40 PST 2020; root:xnu-6153.101.6~15\/RELEASE_X86_64",
"product" : "iMac17,1",
"incident" : "252BB824-D581-47BF-940C-BDFC81424C37",
"date" : "2020-05-03 23:05:19.54 -0400",
"build" : "Mac OS X 10.15.4 (19E287)",
"timeDelta" : 3,
"memoryStatus" : {
"compressorSize" : 73233,
"compressions" : 75310887,
"decompressions" : 7768957,
"zoneMapCap" : 12884901888,
"largestZone" : "vm pages array",
"largestZoneSize" : 457179136,
"pageSize" : 4096,
"uncompressed" : 65766693,
"zoneMapSize" : 1725259776,
"memoryPages" : {
"active" : 3640469,
"throttled" : 0,
"fileBacked" : 758332,
"wired" : 1029589,
"anonymous" : 6521943,
"purgeable" : 47120,
"inactive" : 3634554,
"free" : 9563,
"speculative" : 5252
}
},
"largestProcess" : "System Preferences",
"genCounter" : 1,
"processes" : [
{
"uuid" : "778891a1-0cd6-38ea-a103-a7dd63ecde94",
"states" : [

],
"age" : 50678478531199,
"purgeable" : 0,
"fds" : 50,
"coalition" : 452,
"rpages" : 2474,
"priority" : 0,
"pid" : 6082,
"cpuTime" : 0.053968000000000002,
"name" : "MTLCompilerService",
"lifetimeMax" : 2569
},
{
"uuid" : "ee2b1b7c-59d6-346d-8271-4e25e73d8563",

],
"lifetimeMax" : 901,
"age" : 205580392581882,
"purgeable" : 0,
"fds" : 50,
"coalition" : 174,
"rpages" : 884,
"priority" : 0,
"pid" : 241,
"idleDelta" : 1399038516042,
"name" : "AudioComponentRegistrar",
"cpuTime" : 0.055076
},
{
"uuid" : "bb770492-0430-329c-9522-66b8cb58eee5",

I have rules for only three folders as I'm rebuilding after a clean install which I did to see what may be hanging the system.

I have two rules for two folders. One moves any file from the Desktop to another folder called VDesktop and another does the same for the Downloads folder.

The one that moved the Desktop files has a 1 minute delay "Date last mod is not in the last 1 min. AND Ext. is not download" to keep from moving partially downloaded files.

Also of note is that the Downloads rule had a note attached about I think changing a tag to blue AND I could not remove the note which I thought odd so I deleted the rule and recreated it. The original folder had the downloads folder image icon and the recreated one had a generic folder icon.

The third and last folder has 10 rules. All but one are content matches and one is a content match plus a name contains match.

Now that I see Hazel's possible involvement I'll follow your steps to capture and sent data to you going forward.
BernSh

I have a replicable hang using Hazel too. Steps:

1 Open Hazel
2 Select add
3 create rule
4 save rule
5 attempt to close Hazel
6 open Force Quit
7 select System Preferences, no notification of not responding
8 relaunch System Preferences

Hope this helps.
Rswayoodle

I experience Hangs every time I try to edit anything in Hazel, and working in Hazel usually triggers my computer to go in overdrive with the fans running at high speed because of the memory usage it's taking.

I will capture a diagnostics and send it in.
crverdusco

Rswayoodle wrote:I have a replicable hang using Hazel too. Steps:

1 Open Hazel
2 Select add
3 create rule
4 save rule
5 attempt to close Hazel
6 open Force Quit
7 select System Preferences, no notification of not responding
8 relaunch System Preferences

Hope this helps.

Getting the same with 10.5.5.
David Asch

mudskip wrote:I just upgraded to 10.15.4 (non-beta).
When I click on the Hazel icon in the System Preferences, a dialog pops up that says Preferences Error, Could not load Hazel preferences pane.

The Hazel icon and menu are still in the menu bar.

Hi,
I have absolutely NO hangs on Catalina, since after I removed the quarantine flag (which is added automatically after every download) from the file
Code: Select all
~/Library/PreferencePanes/Hazel.prefPane

Using terminal, you can remove it:

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Library/PreferencePanes/Hazel.prefPane

Try, I hope it help and solve your problem.
prado

Odd, since the quarantine flag should be removed when installing. If anyone is experiencing hangs can run the following and report back if anything is output:
xattr -lr ~/Library/PreferencePanes/Hazel.prefPane | grep com.apple.quarantine
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi,
Is this still a concern or was whatever was causing this fixed in the latest Hazel update, which came out after this thread. I have screenshots, etc, if you want them!

I'm trying to diagnose my Mac Mini's crashing—mouse cursor usually locks, seconds later the screen goes blanks. The Mac then restarts and sends an error report. It began around the time of installing 10.10.5 but this was also coincidental with setting up a new Time Machine drive (which kept locking on encryption).

I've eliminated a lot of things and I wondered if some kind of interaction with macOS and Hazel was likely. This was the last thing that I wanted to test & I've exported my Hazel rules and uninstalled it.

I've no direct evidence that Hazel is involved, except: 1. Hazel is listed in the Console log within a minute of the crash. Not always, though. 2. The last crash happened while changing a Hazel rule (I also noticed that the rule would not work. The rule Preview showed matching files but Finder didn't seem to like finding the Hazel-related tags that should be applied—Finder happily finds one or two other Hazel-related tags and all other tags).

I've done most of the recommended stuff (NVRAM, SMC resets, opened in Safe Mode, reinstalled macOS 10.15.5 from the partition, removed external drives, a Logitech camera/microphone). I can't remove the monitors, but I've removed the USB hub that's integrated into the monitors. I've removed all of the 3rd-party kernel extension (kext) files (except Dropbox.kext). There were a a few files that showed up in the Console that I removed, though I'm not sure had anything to do with this (e.g., Adobe Installer, Microsoft installer—not in use on this machine).

Apple suggested working on a different User account to see if the crashes happened from there too. I've yet not done this because it would be quite a lot of work to set up so that I can use the machine for work...I'm also not sure what either outcome would tell you that would be useful in fixing things.
TobyEmoji

This is an Apple problem with System Preferences so any Hazel updates will not address this, unless Apple tells me of some secret workaround.

If you send me the information requested, I can better assess what is going on but if it's the same hang everyone else is experiencing, the best I can do at the moment is forward it to Apple and pray they do something about it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

mac os Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101), Hazel 4.4.5. (1576)

I experience a system preference freeze when I create a 'if tag contains - move to folder' rule. the folder is synced with a synology drive server (if that might play a role).

I created one rule and copy/pasted it and then changed it according to my different tags. after choosing the folder where the file should be moved, I close the rule and edit more rules. it seems like pref pane crashes after closing the first edit. after force quitting preference pane, the first edited rule is save, the other edits not.
maxfax1984

I can replicate it because it only seems to occur if I edit a rule. I can go into Hazel and move around at will, view rules etc. and then return to system preferences. However, if I edit a rule I'm no longer able to return to the main system preferences panel.

There is no error message, it just hangs, therefore there doesn't seem to be much point in sending a screenshot.

I have created a sysdiagnose file but don't know how to attach it this post.
SilentMonkey

You'll need to email it in. It is a large file so alternatively, you can host it somewhere and email in the link.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion