hiding file extensions

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

hiding file extensions Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:12 am • by sjk
I'd like to configure Hazel to hide files extensions in certain situations where they show up on files when I don't want them to (e.g. dragging an image from a web page to a folder). Seems the only way to do it is with an action running a script that runs "SetFile -a E …" on those files. Would be more elegant with a built-in "(un)hide extension" action.

In general, having Hazel conditions to match certain attributes that GetFileInfo can read and actions for certain ones SetFile can change would definitely extend Hazel's power and value for things I'd like to do with it. Hope that's something you'll consider adding if you haven't already (searching didn't find any prior requests). Thanks.
sjk

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:30 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the request. I haven't seen much demand for this (you're the first one) but I'll add it to the feature db. Note that some of the things you want to look for in the Finder flags can be found through other ways, such as the Kind. In general, though, those flags are pretty esoteric and manipulating them is not something most users care (or even know) about. If possible, I'd recommend trying to filter using higher level constructs, like "Kind". If you find you need to manipulate the flags specifically, then it makes sense to use scripting for that type of low level operation.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:52 am • by sjk
My earlier reply suggested explicitly enabling esoteric features but I'm open to other methods for achieving the same results. When possible, I'd rather minimize scripting and do certain things (regardless of how obscure they seem) directly with Hazel built-ins (e.g. a few "low-level" get/set-type functions). There's a method to my madness, with more experience using computers than the age of a few of those "most users" you mention. :)
Last edited by sjk on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjk

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:59 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It's a balance. There will always be some actions that someone will want that Hazel does not do out of the box. That's why I added the hooks so you could supply your own scripts or Automator actions. Being a more advanced user that can write your own scripts, you do have that extra option. While I'll consider your request just understand that in this case, it may not be of the highest priority.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:14 am • by sjk
I appreciate your consideration of my requests at any priority and the acknowledgment/feedback even if they won't be implemented. Communication that hopefully reaches a mutual understanding, like in this case, is more important to me. Thanks!
sjk

Re: hiding file extensions Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 pm • by benleivian
Would love to have this feature as well. That makes 2!
benleivian

Return to Support