Help please! Change folder icons according to colour labels?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Hazel 3.0.18

Heya! I bought Hazel a few months ago, and I love it. It's great for clearing all the junk out of my Downloads folder every night and sending all my files off to where they're supposed to live.

I've recently gotten into customising all my app and folder icons again. There are some great hand-drawn icon sets, and I like having a personalised computer. I was just wondering if it was possible to get Hazel to change the icon of a folder depending on its colour label, to save me the hassle of manually choosing a new folder icon every time? Say I have 5 different folder icons. I should be able to add a rule to tell Hazel that if [kind] is [folder], and [colour label] is [blue], then change the folder icon to (blue folder) and then remove the colour label. If label is red, then change icon to red folder and then remove the colour label. That kind of thing.
moonsugar

I haven't tried it before but you can try this in a shellscript: http://sveinbjorn.org/osxiconutils
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I understand that this in an old post but I want to do something similar, so I'm reviving it.

I'm wandering if there is an option to change the folder icon with Hazel without using a third party tool like osxiconutils. I'm currently using macOS Sierra. I did a bit of research, but kept coming across third party options for doing this through the shell script. Does anyone have a native solution?
apokas

Maybe something with AppleScript via Finder? Otherwise, you'll have to dig around as I don't know anything else built into the system (short of coding it yourself).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support