Create Folder using 'anything' token

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Create Folder using 'anything' token Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:44 am • by sce123
Hi

I'm trying to set up Hazel for the first time to work with my existing file structure. Basically, I've set up a rule so that any documents on my desktop will moved into the relevant correspondence folder for that client.

The file structure is xyz name of client>xyz01/correspondence - where the xyz is the client ref and the 01 is the particular matter I am dealing with for that client. The correspondence file name is 'date xyz01 unique reference', so I can easily move that file using a rule to move it to a folder named [client ref] [anything token]>[client ref][matter ref][anything token]>correspondence.

This works quite well, but if the folder doesn't exist I'd like to be able to create it as [client ref]>[client ref][matter ref]>correspondence. However, Hazel cannot create a new folder using the [anything token], it just throws out an error message.

Is there any way to do what I want?
sce123

Re: Create Folder using 'anything' token Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:49 am • by Mr_Noodle
It can't really create a folder since it doesn't know what to fill in for "anything". If you can fully specify the folder name by grabbing stuff from the file, then that would get rid of the need for the "anything" token. But it has to be either/or since there's no way for Hazel to know how to fill in "anything" if you use that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Create Folder using 'anything' token Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:21 pm • by sce123
Thanks Mr Noodle

I guess what I am asking is if the "anything" token returns nothing, can the folder be created with default text?
sce123

Re: Create Folder using 'anything' token Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:51 am • by Mr_Noodle
Not at the moment. The only way around it is to create a separate rule to do that though you'd have to figure out the conditions for it to trigger instead of the other one.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support