Extremely slow transfers to NAS

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Extremely slow transfers to NAS Wed May 06, 2015 3:17 am • by Smudge
I have a MacMini running Hazel that has a simple rule that when a file is added to the monitored folder, it moves it to a Synology NAS share via AFP mount. The connection between these systems is 1Gb ethernet and when I manually move a file in the Finder, it transfers at over 100MB/s.
For some reason, when Hazel moves a file, the fastest it ever goes is 20MB/s but more often it is extremely slow, like around 1MB/s. I just watched a 875MB file take over 18 minutes to move over to the NAS.
When this happens, I can manually move other files and it runs at full speed so it isn't a problem with the link, the disk IO, or either system resources.

Any idea what is going on here? There are no errors or messages in the Hazel debug log regarding slow transfers or other problems. Just normal messages but taking a long time.

Thanks

Hazel 3.3.5; OS X 10.9.5; Synology DS412+ NAS
Smudge

Re: Extremely slow transfers to NAS Wed May 06, 2015 12:16 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you email support? I've had a report here and there about this type of thing but I need more follow up on it to investigate it further.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Extremely slow transfers to NAS Fri May 08, 2015 10:55 am • by xieem
Would indeed be great to see some follow up on this
xieem

Re: Extremely slow transfers to NAS Mon May 18, 2015 1:05 pm • by iMatt
I may be experiencing a similar issue. Let me know if there's any information I can contribute.
iMatt

Re: Extremely slow transfers to NAS Mon May 18, 2015 1:40 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Please email support. I need more datapoints/followthrough on this. I have a theory on what may be causing this but need more people willing to work with me to verify the problem and come up with a fix.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support