Extract dates in non-English languages (e.g. German)

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

I've been testing Hazel for a couple weeks and it seems great. I have a question/request about extracting dates from documents in which the month name is written in German (or, in principle, some other non-English language).

For example, I get bank and salary statements with dates like '31. März 2014'.

I was hoping this would be recognized if I set the Month element in the Date Token to 'December', but it doesn't seem to work for German month names. Is there a setting or option I'm missing? If there isn't, could you add support for other languages?

Thanks,
Jacob
Jacob

First off, you need to be running the latest version (2.3.7). In that version, Hazel will match dates for whatever languages you have listed in your System Preferences language settings.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Terrific, thanks! Expat that I am, I didn't have German listed as a 'preferred language' in my Language & Region System Preference. I changed that and now it works.

Best,
Jacob
Jacob

This works wonderfully, but is there any way to also rename files with the non-English date while keeping the system language in English? Basically, at the moment I match a date and rename the file something like "2014-08 August", but I'd like the month name to be in something other than English.
medet

There's no way to do that now. You might want to look into using the text replacement option to replace all the english months with months in whatever language.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Maybe this one will help
I created a "Dynamic Tag" >"date created">month as a word

I found the solution.
Not "Preferred Languages" needs to be set to German, but the Format Language in Language & Region > Advanced > General in the OS X Settings
sebastianf

Return to Support