Feedback needed: Sequential numbering

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Re: Feedback needed: Sequential numbering Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:30 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Well, it gets a bit more complex. Let's say you have a pattern like:

(name)-(#)

Problem is that (name) can change as well. So if you have files "alligator", "bear", "cat" and pump them through this pattern you get: "alligator-1", "bear-2", "cat-3". Basically, getting too fancy with trying to figure out patterns from existing file will be weird. This also makes filling in the gaps kinda weird as well.

I don't know about any auto-resetting. No one has come up with a use case to demonstrate how it would be used and I don't want to implement it without some feedback. I'd prefer to not have any resetting and add it later (though it might be a while until 3.0 so people would have to make do with doing it via the commandline).

If you do reset the counter, it will work normally starting from 1. If the name is taken (whether that name was created by a pattern previously or just happened to match by coincidence), it will increment the counter until it can find a unique name. I think it's the best I can do given all the possible variables involved. I think trying to determine whether an existing file is one generated using a counter won't be reliable. If the user specifies a pattern with the counter, then that pattern will be adhered to and should be enough for most purposes.

And sorry, this is getting a bit esoteric but let's just say that I probably won't do much with existing files. The focus is on generating new file names.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Feedback needed: Sequential numbering Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 am • by Mr_Noodle
For anyone interested, check the beta forum...
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Feedback needed: Sequential numbering Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:32 pm • by gcoghill
Sorry to dredge up this old topic, but curious where the sequential numbering feature left off, and what plans (if any) to add it to Hazel?

My specific use case is for saving .jpg files from Photoshop. I make revisions to the .psd, and save .jpg files with a filename that ends in -v01, -v02, etc.

I use Default Folder in the Open/Save dialog to option-click the previous file's filename to copy it to the current file's name field, and then have to manually increment it. Looking to Hazel to automate this if possible.
gcoghill

Re: Feedback needed: Sequential numbering Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:45 pm • by Mr_Noodle
That seems like the current # attribute should cover that. Or is there some wrinkle I'm not seeing?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Feedback needed: Sequential numbering Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:54 pm • by gcoghill
Mr_Noodle wrote:That seems like the current # attribute should cover that. Or is there some wrinkle I'm not seeing?

Where would I find this current # attribute? I'm not seeing it.
gcoghill

Re: Feedback needed: Sequential numbering Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:39 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It only appears for rename patterns. It's in the lower right below "date opened" and to the right of "current date".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Feedback needed: Sequential numbering Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:55 pm • by gcoghill
Aha, thanks! The power of Hazel can be like a labyrinth at times :)

I'm sure this will do what I want once I figure out the logic for it. Thanks again.
gcoghill

Previous

Return to Open Discussion