Your thoughts on residential data management

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

My customers are residences. We do home automation/home theater/home security.

Of course the consumption of media and their massive libraries has started me on this road to finding a great, USER FRIENDLY data management/backup solution that can be applied not just to media but to all of their data.

So here is a concept of that for a client. Please review and offer your thoughts on the CONCEPT and DESIGN (as opposed to implementation). I'd like to create a concept framework that could then be applied to most households (with some minor tweaking of course to meet specific needs).

Maybe we could all collaborate and use it for ourselves, friends, customers.

BACKUP CONCEPT
NAS
- Stores backup of EVERYTHING
- Nightly replicates itself to duplicate NAS on Internet in different geographical location

MEDIA SERVER DRIVE (USB Drive on Mac Mini)
- Gets copies of all Media files for the purpose of consumption (Movies, Music, Photos, Podcasts)
- Houses a staging folder for all files placed in MAC repository folders/Dropbox items

DEVICE BACKUP
PC
- Some combination of shadow copy of User folder & cloning of drive get to NAS Backup Share
- Entertainment Media files are pulled from NAS or iTunes and not placed on PCs for entry into Media library (can be added workflow later)
- Work Media files are not for iTunes and just backed up with all other files

MAC
- Repository folder on desktop for dropping all media files for Hazel to process
- Macs get backed up to NAS with Time Machine

IOS MOBILE DEVICES
- Dropbox for sending files to Mac Mini Drive running Hazel to process

LOGICAL WORKFLOW
Each computer is backed up to NAS
- PCS get backed up with cloning software or shadow copy software
- Macs get backed up with Time Machine (or could be replaced with some other software solution)

Mac computers each have a repository folder on the desktop for users to place files for processing (really for media only but need to plan for other files too)
- Non-media files get copied to folder structure on the desktop
- Some notification of new files in this folder that need to be addressed
- Media files get copied to staging folder with the computer’s name on the MEDIA SERVER DRIVE
- The staging folder processes the files
- Media files go to iTunes
- Non Media files go into a folder with the computer’s name on the Backup Share
- Some notification of new files in this folder that need to be addressed
chambrick

Please do not post questions on the Tips forum. As noted at the top of that forum, it is only for people providing Tips, not asking for them.

Your workflow (mostly the last thing - the rest should be handled by backup software) looks doable. I suggest trying it out using the trial to make sure you can get it to work.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sorry did not read the forum instructions.
chambrick

I wasn't really looking to find out if it would all work with Hazel as much as I'd like to collaborate with others to come up with some "standard" framework of rules with which to work.

I gotta believe there's a good standard set that is workable to handle most needs that can be offered to all and can be further customized by them.
chambrick

I suggest looking for a forum for people in the same business as I'd think not many users here are as familiar with it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Okay.

That's disappointing. I thought the users on this forum are people who are using the product to create workflows for managing data (for business or personal use).

I assumed that many would be doing this for their personal data management and have input.

Are most users of this product small businesses?

I would still think their needs are the same...managing data.

oh well...will look elsewhere
chambrick

The user base varies but it seems like you are asking about something more specific than what would apply to most people. Also, you'll have a hard time coming up with any sort of "standard" as people's needs vary widely. That's why finding people in a more specific niche would be more helpful here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion