Why does the move command just copy then delete?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

I've noticed that the move command in Hazel just copies the file and then deletes the original.

Is there any reason or fix for this? It's pretty slow when interacting with large files.
JRhodes88

It doesn't do that normally. When doing it on the same drive, it should just move the reference to the file to the new location. When moving across disks, though, you can't do that, so it has to copy then delete. What kind of problem are you seeing?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

This is exactly what it is doing.

Hazel is installed to my internal hard drive, but all the rules happen on an external Firewire 800 drive.

Is that causing an issue?

The Files are being moved from one folder to another, but both the source and destination are on that external drive.
JRhodes88

Do you have any sort of logs showing that this is happening?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Do you have any sort of logs showing that this is happening?

I do not, but I'm watching it happen. I can open two finder windows with the source and target destinations and watch a file size grow until it is 100% and then the source gets deleted.

With large files, over 5GB, this can take a very long time.

Again...this is happening on an External Firewire Drive. Hazel is installed on my internal drive.
JRhodes88

What happens if you do the same move manually with Finder?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:What happens if you do the same move manually with Finder?

It moves it as expected. Happens so fast.
JRhodes88

Does the filename contain any colons or slashes? If so, do you notice different behavior on files that don't contain those characters?

Overall, it seems weird. Ultimately, Hazel is using Apple's routines to perform the move so the decision to do a copy/delete is happening within Apple's code. Hopefully, if we can isolate it, I can file a bug with them about it or figure out some sort of workaround.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Does the filename contain any colons or slashes? If so, do you notice different behavior on files that don't contain those characters?

Overall, it seems weird. Ultimately, Hazel is using Apple's routines to perform the move so the decision to do a copy/delete is happening within Apple's code. Hopefully, if we can isolate it, I can file a bug with them about it or figure out some sort of workaround.

No strange characters, colons, or slashes in the filename.

Is there any log or capture method you want me to try to grab of the process for you?
JRhodes88

Post the log of the move itself so I can see the full paths involved. Also, if there is anything else you can tell me about this drive (filesystem, brand, etc.), that might help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I'm so sorry to have wasted your time. This was just a HUGE oversight on my part.

It's similar to those times when you are coding a huge project and waste several hours scratching your head only to find out you forgot a semi-colon. :D

Thank you again for your time. I will let you know if this starts acting strange with proper testing first.
JRhodes88

Can you described what happened? You can't just leave me hanging here! :o
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you described what happened? You can't just leave me hanging here! :o

I think a few weeks ago I was messing around with my rules and switched it to copy instead of move. I just never looked because the rule name was still titled "move". :?
JRhodes88

Ah ok. Glad you got it all sorted.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion