Autosave

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Autosave Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:01 am • by ElwoodP
After losing a chunk of work after a computer crash I'm looking for an autosave solution, for Adobe Illustrator in particular.

I looked into a tool called Foreversave which looked promising but from the reviews on MacUpdate it looks like it never really worked well and looks to be EOL now. It just crashes for me on Mavericks.

In one of the reviews for Foreversave somebody mentions that they have set up Hazel with the same functionality:
https://www.macupdate.com/members/profile/%E2%96%93%E2%96%92%E2%96%91-TORLEY-%E2%96%91%E2%96%92%E2%96%93

My question is: Is this something Hazel can definitely do? If so could someone tell me how to set it up? Just to be clear the functionality I'm after would be that the document I'm working on would be autosaved every X minutes and a new version of the file created.
ElwoodP

Re: Autosave Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:34 pm • by Mr_Noodle
First off, please do not post questions in the Tips forum. There's a sticky article up top telling you not to do this.

As for doing autosave, what OS version are you running. It's a standard feature in recent versions of OS X. Though thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised that an Adobe product would have it not work since they tend to be non-standard about a lot of things.

You can probably get something workable by having a rule like:
Code: Select all
   If Date Last Matched is not in the last X minutes
   Copy the file somewhere

You'll need to tweak that a bit. Also, you might want to add Date modified so that it only copied when the file changes.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Autosave Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:56 pm • by ElwoodP
First off, please do not post questions in the Tips forum. There's a sticky article up top telling you not to do this.
Apologies, I missed that! Please feel free to move the topic.

As for doing autosave, what OS version are you running. It's a standard feature in recent versions of OS X. Though thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised that an Adobe product would have it not work since they tend to be non-standard about a lot of things.

I'm running Mavericks but as you guessed Adobe doesn't use OSX's built in autosave. Actually it seems quite a lot of software I run doesn't.

If Date Last Matched is not in the last X minutes
Copy the file somewhere

Thanks for the tip. This seems to deal with the version control but not autosaving though? apologies if I've missed something, I haven't actually purchased Hazel yet since I wanted to know whether I could accomplish my goal before I went ahead.
ElwoodP

Re: Autosave Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:21 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Ah yes. I guess if you want to make the program save, you'll have to use an AppleScript to do that.

I suggest downloading and running the trial so you can see if it works before purchasing. Everything is enabled except exporting rules so you should be able to get a good idea if it works for you.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion