Move file progress bar

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Move file progress bar Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:33 am • by Skeo
I was just wondering if there is anyway to monitor the progress of a file move/copy?
Something similar to the popup you get when you drag and drop in the finder would obviously be ideal.

I have a rule that moves files onto a network drive that is a bit slow and large files (>1GB) can take a long time to copy.

It would be nice to be able to get some indication of how far along the process is when Im at my computer and a move is in progress.
Skeo

Re: Move file progress bar Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
No way to do that now unless you do the move yourself in a script (and even then, you'll need some special code). Not sure if it's something high on my list as it goes against the "staying out of your way" mentality. I'll think about it though.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move file progress bar Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:30 pm • by redzep
I would second this, or at least some feedback or log that a rule has been triggered and is in fact running. Sometimes I don't know if the move or copy has been initiated, and so "just to be sure" I end up copying it myself.

I love love love Hazel, btw, a total game changer. And I totally respect the "staying out of the way" ... but sometimes it would be nice to "peak behind the curtain" and see a record of what actually is or has taken place.
redzep

Re: Move file progress bar Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:41 am • by YannS
I also want this !

But not the popup window that shows up when the file is being copied.

The other one, the small one, in the finder next to the file or folder being copied. This one is small and stays out of the way. But if you got some doubt the file is being processed, with that small little progress bar you can know !
YannS

Re: Move file progress bar Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:29 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Doing it in Finder is probably not a possibility. As far as I know, that's private and not accessible to third parties (though I'd love to be proven wrong about this).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move file progress bar Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:45 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Another point about this: in the next version, Hazel will not be copying directly to the destination. It will instead copy it to a temporary location and then move it into place only when it is done. This prevents triggering events at the destination until the operation is complete. If there is an error, then the other end is not woken up about it. So, doing inline progress bars in Finder, as cool as it is, wouldn't be helpful in this case since you won't see the destination until it's done.

I'll probably just add logging to indicate that it is commencing the operation for now.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion