why my archives and disk image mixed up

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

why my archives and disk image mixed up Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:53 pm • by shawtsai
I created a rule ,the attribute" kind" is archive. I set the color label "blue" to it.
then i created a different attribute "kind" is disk image. I set the color label " purple" to it.
But it appears both disk image and archives are blue labeled. why? Is it because the disk image is unarchived file originated from archive file?
I'm a newbie here. sorry if this is a stupid question.
shawtsai

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:13 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It's a side effect of the fact that disk images are considered archives as well (they contain other files). If you put the rule matching disk images before the rule matching archives, it should work since the first rule that matches is the one that gets run.

Unfortunately, even though disk images are considered archives, the unarchive action does not unpack them at the moment. I will probably add support for that in the future but there are still issues with disk images that contain a license agreement.

And don't worry about asking questions (and your question definitely wasn't stupid). That's what the forums are here for.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:13 am • by shawtsai
Mr_Noodle wrote:It's a side effect of the fact that disk images are considered archives as well (they contain other files). If you put the rule matching disk images before the rule matching archives, it should work since the first rule that matches is the one that gets run.

Unfortunately, even though disk images are considered archives, the unarchive action does not unpack them at the moment. I will probably add support for that in the future but there are still issues with disk images that contain a license agreement.

And don't worry about asking questions (and your question definitely wasn't stupid). That's what the forums are here for.

yep, i found it does not unpack. I started questioning about my rules i set. Thank you for mentioning that. I hope you can fix it in the future.
shawtsai

Re: why my archives and disk image mixed up Fri May 04, 2012 12:08 pm • by ecormany
this issue still persists in Hazel 3. however, it's pretty simple to work around. i do more processing on my downloads than just labeling, but the actions can be modified however you want.

the basic thing is you need two rules, and an extra condition on the one that doesn't apply to DMGs

Code: Select all
if
    Kind is Disk Image
    Date Added is after Date Last Matched
then
    Open with application Finder

Code: Select all
if
    Kind is Archive
    Kind is not Disk Image
    Date Added is after Date Last Matched
then
    Unarchive

if you want to copy contents of the DMG and dismount it, you'll have to use a separate rule that monitors mounted volumes. i'm not sure of the details of how to do that, but hopefully someone else can help.
ecormany

Return to Open Discussion