Sync which is similar to iTunes = iDevice for videos

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hi,

I'd like to use Hazel to sync video files in a similar way that iTunes can be used to sync watched or unwatched TV Shows when syncing between iTunes and iDevice.

Does any one know how to do this?

I have used the following rule in Hazel ...

If ALL of the following conditions are met for THE FILE OR FOLDER BEING MATCHED
DATE ADDED IS NOT AMONG THE 1 MOST RECENT

But it moves the files in the order in which they were added. So it seems that the rule applies itself once, and moves the first file, which is fine. But then moves the next file, because the first file has gone the second file is now the most recent, and so one until all the files have been moved.
alex4478

I don't know how iTunes works in this regard so you may want to describe that. The rule you have now will move everything but the most recently added file. Not sure what you are trying for here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Okay ... I'll try and explain.

In iTunes I have a bunch of TV Shows. I watch the TV Shows via my iPhone (not the best, but it suits my needs just fine).

iTunes allows you to sync content from its library to your iDevice. In my case my iPhone.

So in iTunes there are options that mean that after you have synced with your iDevice you always have an unwatched or watched episode of the TV Shows. I have it setup with about 10 TV Shows so that the oldest unwatched episode is on my iPhone. When I watch that episode it is recognized by iTunes as having been watched, so is removed and replaced with the next unwatched episode.

I would like to repeat the same process but using USB drives and folders.

I have use my MacBook for syncing with my iPhone, but use my iMac for downloading and storing the TV Shows.

So I'd like to be able to connect my USB drive which will have the folder structure as the TV Shows folder on the iMac, sync the oldest unwatched episode from the iMac to the USB drive. Remove the USB drive and do the reverse on the MacBook.

I've looked at creation dates etc, but the issue here is that the TV Shows have been converted and the creation dates etc are not in the order in which they should be watched.

Hope that clarifies things a little more?

Thanks
alex4478

You'll have to find a date that does mesh with what you want to do. Hazel only operates on the dates it has available so you need to look at your files and figure out which date will work or maybe look at your conversion process to make sure it generates correct dates on the output file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I have found a script which can change the file creation date.

So that's one hurdle overcome.

Now I've got Hazel to move the oldest created file to another folder, but then Hazel moves the next file because the next file is now the oldest created file.

I only want Hazel to move the oldest file and then when that file is not in the second folder move the next oldest file.
alex4478

I'm not sure what you mean here. When should it not copy the oldest file over?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Let me try and explain a little more.

My iMac downloads TV Shows and stores them in a folder like so
(- denotes sub-folder)

Arrow
-Season 1
-- Arrow s01e01 (date created 27052013)
-- Arrow s01e02 (date created 28052013)and so on
Nikita
-Season 1
-- Nikita s01e02 (date created 27052013)
-- Nikita s01e02 (date created 28052013) and so on

They are just stored on my external HDD and eventually they end up on my MacBook.

What I would like to happen is that when I have copied the first file onto my MacBook via a USB drive the file's colour is changed to RED (to denote that it has been copied) and then when the USB drive is reconnected to my iMac the next video file is copied onto the USB drive, so the files will always remain on the iMac, but on the way to work the USB drive will only have the next unwatched video and then that video will be copied to the MacBook, and then be changed to RED, so on the way home from work the videos that have been copied to the MacBook will now be RED and then when the USB drive is connected to the iMac the next video file by way of the creation date that IS NOT red will be copied to the USB Drive and then the video that was RED will be removed from the USB drive.
alex4478

Are you copying the file manually or via a rule? Which file is colored red, the source or destination?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

The files are to be copied via a rule. The file is coloured red to show that the file has been copied.
alex4478

I'm going to assume you mean the source file here. In that case, you can add a condition to look for the existence of the red file. Something like:

Code: Select all
    If (all) are met for (enclosing folder)
        If (all) are met for (any subfile)
            Color is red

You'll have to play around with it a bit but that should give you the basic gist.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion