Find unused apps rule

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Find unused apps rule Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:43 am • by Zettt
Hello fellow Hazelers,

I've been trying again to setup a "find unused apps" rule today. Like others, I expect the condition Date Last Opened to be suitable for this, but found that it doesn't work in most cases. Some apps just don't ever get their Date Opened state changed, therefore triggering the resulting actions, unintentionally.
I've been trying to figure out what causes this meta date to change. I've been opening an app with Alfred, with LaunchBar, Spotlight, and directly from the Finder, though Hazel still shows that the app I think of right now (BookMacster, Alfred 2 + 1), causes the rule to trigger.

Is it because these apps get launched by Sparkle once they're updated? Is it because the system user launches the apps on login?

Helpers are appreciated.

Thanks,
Andreas
Zettt
Zettt

Re: Find unused apps rule Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Sparkle does restart the app when it actually updates, but shouldn't do so just by checking for updates. I don't know what necessarily triggers updating the last opened date so it really boils down to trial and error. It's a system thing so there's little Hazel can do to affect that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion