Copy pictures and movies from memory card

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Copy pictures and movies from memory card Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 pm • by slothdog
I'm completely new to Hazel and trying to create what I thought would be a fairly simple rule, but I feel like I'm missing something. What I'd like to do is: when an SD card containing a "DCIM" folder is inserted, move all the pictures and movies into a folder on my Mac, with the folder structure named according to the date the picture was taken.

Here's what I have so far:
If:
Kind is Image or Kind is Movie

Do:
Run rules on folder contents
Move to folder Pictures
Rename with pattern "YYYY_MM_DD"
Sort into subfolder with pattern "YYYY > MM"

Which mostly works, but if I import twice on the same day, I end up with one folder named "2012_11_20" and an additional one named "2012_11_20-1". Is there any way to sort into an existing folder, or is there some part of this I could be doing better?
slothdog

I suggest you (re)-read the sticky article on subfolders as I don't think this rule will work. In particular, "Run rules on folder contents" only applies to folders, not files, which your conditions are matching.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Copy pictures and movies from memory card Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:03 pm • by slothdog
I actually does work except for creating multiple folders if run more than once a day, but as I said I'm open to suggestions for improvement since I'm new at this.
slothdog

It may work, but again, not correctly as you are still posting here :P

Follow the advice in the article. You are combining rules for two different things.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion