Help with creating rule to file by name

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Help with creating rule to file by name Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 pm • by aszekely
I am trying to create a rule that monitors my "Scans" folder and when I place a file in there called "FirstName LastName Document Name" it files the document in the "LastName FirstName" folder elsewhere on my Mac. The names are moving targets as my client list grows and shrinks over time. Is there a way to create such a rule? If needed, I can easily call the document "LastName, FirstName DocumentName" so it exactly matches the folder names.

Thanks.
aszekely

Re: Help with creating rule to file by name Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:52 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Search for "match patterns" in the help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Help with creating rule to file by name Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:17 pm • by aszekely
I'm able to complete the first part of the rule and then move it to the parent folder for my clients, but I cannot get it sort into the proper subfolder. Here is what my rule looks like:

Name matches "abc,abc ..."

Move to subfolder "Client Files - Open"
Sort into subfolder with pattern "name"

When it does that, it creates a new subfolder, but does not move it into the subfolder that matches the string it matched in the first part of the rule.
aszekely

Re: Help with creating rule to file by name Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:41 pm • by ecormany
this is another instance where you need two rules to accomplish what you may think of as a single task.

1. move items from scan folder to clients folder
if
Name matches [pattern]
Move to "Client files - open"

this will put the scanned file in the top level of your clients folder. but don't worry, it won't be there long! attach another rule to your clients folder:

2. sort into subfolders
if
Kind is PDF (or whatever type of scanned file)
Name matches [client name]
Sort into subfolder with pattern [client name]
ecormany

Re: Help with creating rule to file by name Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:51 pm • by aszekely
Ah, thanks.
aszekely

Return to Open Discussion