How can I identify High Def video files?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

How can I identify High Def video files? Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:24 am • by Skeo
Back in the old days (Hazel 2.x) I had rules set up that could identify a hd video file (m4v) and do something with it (usually convert it to an iphone friendly size). I did this using the pixel width attribute to match rules.

I haven't used these rules in forever and I'm finding I want to again now, but they no longer work.
Hazel doesn't seem to be able to pick up the pixel width in my video files anymore.
In fact the only way I can get the rule to match is to set "pixel width is blank" as the rule. Which of course, is kinda useless here.

I don't know what has changed, whether its hazel 3.x, or something different in spotlight with Lion, but I'd like to be able to identify my HD videos again. I just can't figure how given what's available.

Any ideas?
Skeo

Nothing on the Hazel side has changed there. I suspect it's an issue with Spotlight on your machine. Check Spotlight's privacy settings or, if you can use the commandline, the mdutil, mdimport and mdls commands will help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: How can I identify High Def video files? Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:21 pm • by Skeo
I figured it out. Kinda obvious in the end.

What has changed is my videos are now stored on my network drive. Spotlight doesn't index network drives so the spotlight attributes fields for network files come up blank every time.

I should be able to get it to work by plugging the drive directly into the computer by USB and letting spotlight index it before I run the rules.

Sweet.
Skeo

Return to Open Discussion