Mountain Lion notifications

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Mountain Lion notifications Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:57 am • by waf1waf
Does anyone know if noodlesoft is planning to add support for Mountain Lion notifications?
waf1waf

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:22 am • by Mr_Noodle
It is planned but there are some difficulties. Mainly, there are issues including 10.8 features while retaining 10.6 compatibility. While I'm am looking into workarounds, Apple is making it harder and harder to support 10.6 while moving forward so I am faced with a decision about how soon to phase out 10.6 support.

If you have Growl, you can use that or, not sure if it's been released yet, but the Growl team mentioned bridging over to ML's notification center so you might want to look into that in the meantime.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:18 pm • by ecormany
another option would be to use terminal-notifier (http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/03/send-an- ... e-in-os-x/) via a shell script. it wouldn't identify the notification as being from Hazel, but presumably you'd add language to the notification that indicated its origin.
ecormany

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:25 pm • by Mr_Noodle
As a heads up, support for Notification Center is coming soon. Keep in mind though that Hazel will only use Notification Center if you don't have Growl installed. The notion here is that if you have Growl installed on a ML system, it indicates you want to use it instead.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:52 pm • by _mst
I think it would be better to use NC on ML even if Growl is installed. Growl is more of a fallback for apps that don't support NC yet so it's of course still present on many ML Macs.
_mst

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Growl will be able to direct everything to NC. It doesn't seem to be out yet but should be soon. The notion here is that if you installed Growl, you want to use Growl. It's a bit of a transition period now so things may be awkward until other apps convert to using NC. If/when you uninstall Growl, the Hazel action will automatically convert to using NC without any changes to your rules. There will be some short-term discomfort but I feel like this will be better for the long-term.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:49 am • by Jono
Like _mst I also see it as a fallback and would prefer to use Notification Centre messages over Growl where possible (while still having Growl for things that can't run in NC).

Even when Growl can run through Notification Centre I'll still use it as it is now (not through NC), to run some custom Growl AppleScripts showing custom icons (when Growl 2.0 runs through Notification Centre it won't be able to show custom icons).

So I'd really like to be able to specify Notification Centre messages in Hazel, while still having Growl installed.
Jono

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:51 am • by Kha
I personally also prefer using growl as the method for notifications, although it is because of the current implementation method. The reason for that is that you were able to specify which rules get to send you notifications as opposed to the way it is now with notification center. It might be just an implementation method that can be corrected easily, but the way notifications get implemented now, it basically distracts without adding value since not all actions I am interested in, and yet every action that Hazel performs shows up in the notification center.
Kha

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:35 am • by Jono
It would be really good to have the choice whether to use Notification Centre or Growl, not just one or the other.
Jono

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:09 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If you are chiming in here, please specify your situation to justify it.

I guess the notion here is whether people are set on using Growl in the long term and if so, why. Also, if I do allow a switch, it will be Hazel-wide and not on an action-by-action basis. Also, how would people feel about a hidden default to switch it? Basically, I don't want to create a legacy which I have to support later once the dust settles.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:48 am • by flynn
Like I just told support, I would like to see hazel use NC over growl.

I have 6 apps that use growl. Dropbox,hazel, Skype, transmission, tvshowhelper and gfxcardstatus.
I use them along with an app called hiss that is able to foward growl notifications to NC. But they all appear in the same list, under the same app name and with the same limit of messages. Basically, it gets really crowded really fast, and I'm not always able to see all of my missed notifications since the limit is 20 recent items. Also, I am not able to click on the notification to access the specified app.

I personally don't care how that switch is achieved.. Whether its using some kind of hack, a forced change for everyone or an option in the preferences, so I would be fine with a hidden default.

Thanks
flynn

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:56 pm • by Jono
I wouldn't mind some sort of secret switch to turn on Notification Centre messages in Hazel, while still having Growl installed on my system.
Jono

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:19 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Ok, I'll consider a hidden default in the next version. I don't have a schedule for it yet, though.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Mountain Lion notifications Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:14 am • by Jono
Thanks!
Jono

Return to Open Discussion