How to save power

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

How to save power Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:32 am • by miriamNZ
I am going on the road in my camper van with my MacBookPro and I am looking at how to reduce power demands.

I am using Hyperjuice batteries, which means that the MBP thinks I am plugged in to the power when I am using the Hyperjuice batteries. Though Hazel doesn't know whether I am operating on power or battery, I think.

I am looking for advice on what kinds of Hazel actions should I avoid or suspend in order to conserve power?

All advice gratefully received!
Cheers
Miriam
miriamNZ

Re: How to save power Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:18 pm • by a_freyer
This depends on the types of rules that you have, but generally speaking Hazel is not going to have a substantial impact on your battery.

Most of the Hazel file actions are based on system notifications - so Hazel quite literally does nothing unless there is a file change. If, however, you have some script based rules or timer-based rules, you might want to disable those. Again, however, Hazel is not really a power-hungry process in my experience.
a_freyer

Re: How to save power Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:50 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks a_freyer, as usual, for answering. As he mentioned, Hazel only triggers when necessary, for the most part. Remember that you can stop Hazel entirely (either from the menubar icon or in the "Info" pane) or pause specific folders (from the gear/cog menu) as needed.

Also, any rules which deal with subfiles either in the condition popup or by using the "Run rules on folder contents" action can potentially use up a bunch of resources. Make sure you really need to go into subfolders and even then, do as much as you can to limit how far down it goes.

If you do find that Hazel is using up a noticeable amount of battery, drop me a line at support and I can take a closer look then.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: How to save power Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:11 am • by miriamNZ
Thanks!
miriamNZ

Re: How to save power Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:00 pm • by a_freyer
miriamNZ wrote:Thanks!

If you still want to pause rules on certain battery life, I have drafted a tutorial.
a_freyer

Return to Open Discussion