Using mailtags to sort messages into existing subfolders

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

I need to save my emails into existing subfolders. Is there a way of adding mailtags to an email that match the subfolder so that, for example, tagging an email ABC123 will be saved into an existing subfolder myfolder/ABC123 ?
geegovah

It depends on the mail program and tagging system you are using. In general, you should be using Hazel to manage Apple Mail's internal files. Also, I don't know what you are using to tag so I can say whether or not Hazel will be able to see them. If the tags are visible via Spotlight, then the answer is probably "yes" but I can't say for certain without knowing what you are using.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am using Apple Mail and adding mail tags using the software Mailtags 3 by Indev.
geegovah

I have just checked and Mailtags 3 tags are searchable by Spotlight
geegovah

Oh whoops. I mis-typed earlier. I meant to say that you should not be using Hazel to manage Mail's internal files. Moving Mail's files out from underneath it could screw things up and I would not recommend it. Sorry about the miscommunication.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I have sorted this now. I use an applescript within Mail rules. No need for Hazel for this task, still using it for other tasks.Thank you for your help on this one.
geegovah

Return to Open Discussion