Has subfolder Behavior changed in 3?

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Has subfolder Behavior changed in 3? Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:49 pm • by shuntera
I always found this method http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=470 of having hazel process the contents of subfolders cumbersome - has this behavior changed in version 3?

I am looking at condition met for any sub-file or folder and don't remember that from v2 - but not sure that will allow any following rule to run in any file in any subfolder.
shuntera

Re: Has subfolder Behavior changed in 3? Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:59 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It is no different. It is a bit odd the way it is now but over the years I've realized that making it too easy will allow people to really screw up their files. I would rather people doing it have an understanding of what is involved instead of just blindly using it. Unfortunately, there are some who still ignore my warnings in that article and end up emailing support with their files all screwed up.

The newer ability to target subfiles in conditions is different. I suggest reading the help on how this stuff works.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Has subfolder Behavior changed in 3? Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 pm • by shuntera
It seems to me that if you do this - say on the Downloads folder I want to recursively go into every folder and change any PDF to Green, then I cannot add any other rule for Downloads - say I want turn any .jpg file red in the root of the Downloads directory.

I would need to be able to add another instance of the Downloads directory and apply that new rule to that instance, but I can't add that second instance.

And if I just add that new rule to the end of the list then it will be executed recursively in every subfolder because the first rule is to Go into subfolders.

Is that the case?
shuntera

Re: Has subfolder Behavior changed in 3? Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:01 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I don't see how you can't do this. Actually, the way that people tend to think the subfolder stuff should work actually limits the number of rules you can apply to subfiles to a single rule. With the way it is now, you can have as many rules as you want apply to different types of subfiles.

Basically, you'd have:

If kind is folder, then run rules on folder contents
If kind is PDF, then color green
If kind is jpeg, then color red

Also, I don't know what you mean by another instance of the Download directory. Could you elaborate?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Has subfolder Behavior changed in 3? Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:34 pm • by sjk
Mr_Noodle wrote:Also, I don't know what you mean by another instance of the Download directory. Could you elaborate?

I think shuntera means adding the same Download directory to Hazel's Folders list multiple times, which isn't possible. Only one instance of a directory/folder can be added, with zero or more rules applied to it.
sjk

Re: Has subfolder Behavior changed in 3? Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Assuming that this is what you are asking for, I guess my next question is "why?".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion