Hazel and IPTC and exif.

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hazel and IPTC and exif. Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 pm • by justinkthornton
This is a feature request. But it would be huge life saver if hazel to read and write to iptc and exif on image files. You could use the existing exiftools, it makes iptc and exif available in the command line, as a way to implement it with in hazel. (or I think you could but I'm not a superstar developer with the brains to make something as great as hazel.)

If I could apply metadata to my files with haze and use that metadata to sort, it just might literally save my life one day. You might think that statement a bit dramatic. But if I lose some picture files my clients has ties to organized crime, that I was unaware of of-course, you could save my life.

I'm sorry for the far fetched example of what that would mean to me, but it would be seriously great if hazel could do that.
justinkthornton

Re: Hazel and IPTC and exif. Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:55 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I think most of that data should be available via Spotlight. Are there particular fields that aren't there for you?

One thing I've added to 3.0 is the ability to use scripts in the conditions so if I don't end up adding this, you can access these tools via a script and use them in a condition for a rule.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel and IPTC and exif. Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:43 pm • by justinkthornton
The Mac OS doesn't play well with the photography metadata standards, it is not complete and does't let you edit it. You have to to it via a third party. That slows down my workflow. People have had some secess with scripting with exiftool but I is complicated and far past my scripting ability. And I can't seem to make others shared script code to work in a way I want it to happen.

Just hoping some flattery with a touch of comical manipulation might get it into a future version of hazel. Because it would be just swell if it did.
justinkthornton

Re: Hazel and IPTC and exif. Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:06 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It's something I've considered but it would slow down a lot of things for a feature that suits a small subset of the files that customers deal with. A better solution is if someone writes a Spotlight importer that actually does this stuff correctly. I'm surprised there hasn't been a photographer/dev that hasn't done this yet. Maybe after I get 3.0 out the door, I'll do it as a little freebie side project but for now, my hands are a bit full.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel and IPTC and exif. Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:34 am • by esteban78
I am dying for this feature. I have 40.000+ photos, too much to sort them manually.

Too bad Hazel doesn't read the exif-data so they can be sorted automatically.

Imho, this would be a killer feature for most Hazel-users, as everybody had lots of photos on their HD's nowadays.
esteban78

Re: Hazel and IPTC and exif. Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
One other thing to note about this is that the date format in EXIF is horribly specified in that it does not include the time zone. That means that it would have to guess at the time zone resulting in times that can be up to 24 hours off. This may or may not be a big issue to you though it might be to others. I'm guessing that maybe this has to do with Apple not implementing this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion