Hazel and iCloud Drive

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Hazel and iCloud Drive Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:54 am • by jpooley
I have a pair of related questions:

* Will Hazel be able to act on iCloud Drive files/folders? I assume yes--Hazel could even act on the old, semi-hidden iCoud folders.
* The second question (only indirectly related to Hazel): Does anyone know if Mavericks-style tag management will be possible in the open/save dialog for iCloud Drive in iOS? The public-facing documentation on Apple's site is ambiguous about this. Would love to be able to trigger Hazel actions (on a remote Mac), by tagging files on iOS.

Thanks!
jpooley

Re: Hazel and iCloud Drive Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:00 am • by Mr_Noodle
Actually, as far as I know, Hazel won't have access to iCloud drive. Apple does not mount it as a regular drive and does not allow non-App Store apps to access it. I suggest using Dropbox for this type of thing since it doesn't lock out other apps.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel and iCloud Drive Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:26 am • by paulelms
Why not?

iCloud: ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/
iCloud Drive: ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com\~apple\~CloudDocs/

You can select iCloud Drive folders as usual in hazel (from finder sidebar).
paulelms

Re: Hazel and iCloud Drive Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:14 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Stuff under Library is considered internal data to the app that controls it. You can try using Hazel on those folders but I would not be surprised if you run into issues, like possible data corruption. Apple has specific APIs for accessing that stuff and it is unavailable for apps outside the App Store. Manipulating that data out from underneath it is not recommended.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel and iCloud Drive Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:44 pm • by paulelms
If you drag file from iCloud Drive root folder to Terminal.app, you got path to ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com\~apple\~CloudDocs/
iCloud Drive in finder sidebar just like symlink, files stored locally.
Tested by me.

Sorry for my english.
paulelms

Re: Hazel and iCloud Drive Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:28 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Yes, but that's not in question. There are possible implications manipulating it directly. Just because it worked for you in that case doesn't mean it's safe to do in general. Like I said before, it's not supported and I would not recommend doing it. It can screw up your data or your syncing. Small isolated tests may work for you but until how iCloud drive works under the hood is more well understood, I think you may be playing with fire.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion